Last week I shared how we must obey Joel 2:12 and return to God with our whole heart. I challenged readers to set the date of April 23, 2019 as a day for us to do exactly that — turn to God with our whole heart.
Between now and then I believe it is important that Christians individually and corporately prepare themselves for this day of turning. To begin this effort, it is important to understand that with God it must be all or nothing! God does not want a half-hearted effort to turn to Him. He demands our whole heart.
Here are some verses that we can meditate on as we prepare to turn to Him with our whole heart.
Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart! Psalm 119:2 (NKJV)
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:4-5 (NKJV)
And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV)
Here are some suggestions that might help us examine and prepare our hearts to turn to Him.
- Ask yourself some questions like:
- How does keeping God’s testimonies relate to seeking Him with my whole heart?
- Do I love God like He tells me to in Deuteronomy 6? What might I love more than God at times?
- How do I search for God with my whole heart?
- When I don’t search for Him with my whole heart, what things am I searching for?
- Discuss these verses and questions with other Christians.
- Church staff members can discuss how this relates to their church.
- Christian school educators can ask themselves these questions from their school’s perspective.
- An example of doing these two points above could be something like “is our school/church seeking God with our whole heart?” Do we as a school/church love God more than anything else? If not, what other things may be competing for our school’s love?
Finally, I want to encourage everyone to share other verses that can help us understand that it is all or nothing! You can do this my leaving Scripture references as a comment below or simply email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great week seeking and loving Him with your whole heart.